The most common SEO mistakes to avoid in 2021 will help to avoid mistakes and succeed as the year 2021 brings many opportunities for digital marketing. Because of pressing marketing campaigns, many people resort to a blunder of black-hat SEO techniques and sometimes commit on-page SEO errors that are detrimental to the website or blog.
Even Grey-hat techniques are a bad choice and this mistake should also be avoided. Also, speed optimization and technical SEO faults are harmful as well.
Several people are even unaware of the most common SEO mistakes so they are unable to avoid them even in 2021. This article is to rectify that problem for them. Our experts have researched hundreds of websites and have compiled this list with details to help you avoid the errors and omissions that are bad for the overall SEO health of the website.
To succeed in digital marketing, you must not repeat these errors and miscalculations and should always adopt a fair and above-board strategy.
Let’s go to our topic in detail now.
Most common SEO mistakes to avoid in 2021
The range of these errors is not as vast as one would assume. The most common blunders are the ones that come to your SEO course in the first place. These are the kind of slipups that you are taught as a basic lesson in SEO and know very well to avoid but still fall for them. Sometimes, people wrongly assume that going for a shortcut could be a good idea.
This proves fruitful for the beginning but takes its toll when it comes to long-term success.
To avoid those damaging gaffes, keep the following topics in mind all the time.
Basic SEO mistakes that need to be avoided in 2021
- Having no defined target Audience
One of the most critical factors for having SEO is to understand your target audience. It says to know about your audience to the most granular and minute level.
SEO then gives their demands a voice.
Many SEO professionals claim to know their audience but lack understanding of their customer’s behaviour in the market and at the primary level.
Also, do not rush for your customer’s purchase; instead, provide the reply to their queries on a real-time basis.
Another common mistake while selecting keywords is not understanding the user’s and search engines’ importance of Long tail keywords.
You are free to explain to your customers how your products are but maintaining and preferencing your potential customers’ words would help them find your product.
Tips for improving-
- Look for your customer’s preference trends
- Study how their buying behaviour has changed with time
- Use keyword planner tools and tools alike to find the right keyword
- NO SEO Plan
When you know all about your audience, it goes in vain but takes very little or no random action to create a grand opportunity.
Generally, small businesses struggle to build or execute strategy and take help from large or medium-sized companies.
A survey conducted for measuring SEO resulted in 36% of the small businesses had an SEO strategy. Creating an SEO strategy is a must for succeeding.
Many plans fail as building a sustainable strategy depends on the website, PR, content, product, and technical aspects.
To ensure that you get the best results, you need to blueprint your business and the results you want from your site in the following assigned period.
Tips for improving-
- First, evaluate and understand your competitors, their rankings, the keywords they are working on, their content type, and performance.
- Have a proper layout of your work plan
- Look for the type of roles in your content, update your site timely, align them digitally, and do proper SEO.
- Look for all the technologies that would help you with your workflow and your strategies.
- Creating inappropriate content
Another common mistake that generally happens is creating content that is from nowhere created for your audience.
The problem arises in selecting a particular keyword but not focusing on the text that would help rank.
Search engines like Google prefer providing their users with relevant content with their search terms. Hence, if your content is not rich in information, then it will not rank well.
These mistakes would lead to-
- Attempting to fit different content in one content
- Results in low-quality content as the motto was to add keywords only
- Optimizing multiple keywords into one article
The primary aim should always be to create content that would respond to the queries of your target audience and that would include the correct search terms.
On using the right keyword, the search engines would find your content (if they find it relevant) to your keyword.
Mistakes that marketers would make with your content-
- Marketers not focusing on the content for the right audience
- Content is not trustworthy, expertise, and not authoritative
Hence, you must add these factors that Google wants.
Tips to improve-
- Make sure that your content and SEO are aligned as per your strategy
- Your content should have answers to all the queries of your audience
- Create different types of content for different needs and SERP layouts- visuals, videos, etc.
- Follow enhanced search replies and practice E-A-T.
- Never publish plagiarized content.
These were some of the common mistakes that need to be avoided. But this mistake happens unknowingly, the error of plagiarized content. This typical mistake can make your content quality deteriorate significantly.
Duplicating content was acceptable in the back days, but now the practice has changed, and today, search engines do not accept this.
Copying and plagiarized content are considered spammy these days and are not acceptable by search engines these days.
Do not assume copying content from one site and spinning them would result in new content, which can fool search engines and rank better.
This, in turn, would only make your website go downgraded and push back your search results. So, it is crucial to invest your time in creating fresh and informative content.
Tips for improving-
- The headline should be catchy and impactful enough. It should match your topic of content. Avoid misleading your readers by writing headlines that are miles apart from your subject of the content.
- Make sure that your content provides answers to all queries of your users and contains actionable information. Try explaining them with appropriate examples.
- Create your information that people can relate to and quote them with actual and trustworthy sources.
- Try to be creative enough to present new information to your reader and enhance their experience.
- Not having a friendly and user-friendly page speed.
SEO is not only about keywords and content but is also linked to the website’s quality, their mobile performance quality.
Google and other search engines recognize non-mobile-friendly websites, and Google especially looks for mobile-first indexing.
So, you need to have a smooth mobile page speed for your readers, and else your ratings would go in vain. The same things go for load speed too, and search engines look for this feature too.
If you do not look upon these features, you should not be surprised when your site won’t rank and get lower results in Google SERPs.
When the mobile SEO is appropriately done, the mistakes that probably arise are-
- Slow site loading
- Files getting blocked
- Image and videos load slowly
- Web designs do not respond well
Tips to improve-
- The site’s load time should be improved with a lower bounce rate
- Make sure that your design does not increase the mobile speed load speed
- Optimize the alignment of local and mobile alignments
Make sure that your mobile content aim for providing your customer a better mobile user experience
ON Page most common SEO errors
When writing content or publishing it online, the most common mistake that people make is badly optimized content. Not just at the time of writing or creating it, they fail to properly publish it as per SEO rules. The most common aspects are as following:
- Badly written content: The content is not unique or does not hold value for the reader. Always write good content for SEO.
- Keyword stuffing: results in bad user experience and therefore gets a penalty
- Bad SEO title headings: H1 and H2 heading tags are misused
- Internal linking: The content does not have internal links
- External links: No quality external links are present
- Alt text absent: Images must have alt text for people with difficulties and Google
OFF-Page usually made SEO mistakes
Along with most common on-page SEO mistakes, people also tend to make common off-page mistakes that either result in a penalty from Google or are not useful for ranking. These are as follows:
- Bad quality backlinks: Backlinks must be of top quality or they will be counterproductive
- Buying backlinks: This results in a penalty from Google if the links are not genuine
- Spam-comment backlinks: Google is aware of these backlinks and penalizes them when found
- Social Media Backlinks: This does not help much in generating traffic either
It’s best to avoid these off-page SEO mistakes.
Technical SEO mistakes people commonly make
Next in our article on the most common SEO mistakes that you must avoid in 2021 is technical SEO mistakes that many people make.
- Non-responsive design: The website does not use a design that works across all the devices
- Not a mobile-friendly theme: A mobile-friendly theme is essential in today’s world
- Speed issues: A website must be fast in loading otherwise bounce rate will be higher
- 404 Errors: There must not be any errors for a perfect design website
- Changing things again and again: Many people make changes to design and theme that is harmful to the SEO
Speed optimization mistakes to avoid in 2021
The next most common mistake is related to speed optimization. Most of the time, the speed depends on the server where the website is hosted but it’s also a factor of theme, content, and overall optimization of the website. Some elements of this category are as under:
- Images not optimized: This makes a website heavy and difficult to load. Optimize your images to a standard size, ranging from 70kb to 300kb. In any case, do not exceed 1MB image size
- Heavy theme: An optimized theme is necessary to help load the website faster
- Poor navigation: A website should be easier to navigate so a visitor may stay for a long time.
Black Hat SEO is a disaster!
The generic name in digital marketing jargon for malpractices related to SEO is Black-hat SEO. In essence, it’s the use of shortcuts and techniques to exploit Google algorithms. For a short period, these tactics do work, however, they are not helpful if you’re planning to run a business for a long time.
- Content Automation: This type of content creation is not helpful in the long term.
- Keyword Stuffing: This will result in a penalty from Google as it creates a bad user experience
- Backlinks malpractices: Google algorithms are smart enough to find out about this.
- Negative SEO: creating problems for competitors is unethical and also a waste of your precious time
Grey hat SEO is a mistake too!
Some people would propose using Grey Hat SEO but that’s a mistake as well. The best option is always the one that you know has no grey areas. Even when you start, in your heart you know what the right thing to do is. The problem is, only some people do not dare to do the right thing.
In end, we’d again emphasize this fact, stick to the basics and do the right thing. The most common mistakes to avoid in 2021 have been presented to you. Now it’s your choice whether you want to succeed long-term or just get some benefits on a short-term basis. But, always remember, you can never deceive Google for a long period. There are always repercussions for taking the wrong route and you’ll regret using the black hat or grey hat techniques. So, always try to avoid mistakes and avoid falling for the wrong techniques as well.